Born in Hong Kong, 1987. Lives and works in the U.K.
Represented by MTArt Agency (London)
Alexandra Lethbridge is a visual artist born in Hong Kong and based in the UK. She graduated from the University of Brighton with a Masters in Photography. Previous education has included Winchester School of Art, UK and the International Center of Photography in New York.
Found photographs, archival imagery and constructed images of her own making form the basis of Alexandra Lethbridge’s research-based practice. Drawing upon a range of references and source material, she combines scientific theories with fictional constructed images, bringing them together as a form of storytelling. Approaching image making in a playful and experimental way, her practice deliberately mixes fact and fiction to create expanded views of the subject matter she explores.
Her work has been exhibited widely with her recent exhibitions including a solo exhibition at the NY Media Center, New York, Format Festival 2019, Derby and Unseen Festival, Amsterdam.
She was a winner for Voies Off 2018 and selected finalist for the ING Unseen Talent Award 2017.
In 2014, she was shortlisted for the Paris Photo Aperture Foundation First PhotoBook Award for her first publication The Meteorite Hunter, also included as part of the MOMA’s book collection.
Her work has been featured in magazines and online publications such as 1000 words Magazine, GUP, Yet Magazine, Foam Talent, Der Grief, Self Publish Be Happy, Wired Magazine and The Telegraph online. Her work is held in the ING collection in Amsterdam.
- 2018: Selected Singapore Photo Festival
- 2018: Winner Voies Off, Arles
- 2017: Finalist ING Unseen Talent Award
- 2017: Arles Photo Review Awards Special mention
- 2017: Winner Flash Forward Magenta Foundation
- 2017: Winner FORMAT Festival Affinity Award
- 2017 : Finalist Grand Prix, Fotofestiwal Lodz
- 2016: Shortlisted Brighton Photo Fringe OPEN16
- 2016: Winner Dentons Art Prize, The Meteorite Hunter
- 2016: Nominated Magnum Photo & PhotoLondon Graduate Photographers Award
- 2015: Selected The Anamorphosis Prize
- 2015: Winner Moscow International Photo Awards
- 2015: Winner Circulations Festival Open Call
- 2015: Shortlisted 30 Guernsey International Photography Competition
- 2015: Finalist Renaissance Photography Prize
- 2015: Selected Fresh Faced & Wild Eyed, The Photographers’ Gallery
- 2015: Winner Flash Forward Magenta Foundation, UK
- 2015: Nominated Magnum Photo & PhotoLondon Graduate Photographers Award
- 2015: Shortlisted Barcelona International Photography Awards
- 2015: Shortlisted Athens Photo Festival, Greece
- 2015: Winner FORMAT Festival Clifton Cameras Prize
- 2014: Shortlisted Aperture Foundation Paris Photo First Photobook Award
- 2014: Winner Danny Wilson Memorial Professionals Choice Award, Brighton Photo Fringe
- 2019: Solo Exhibition Format Festival, The Path of an Honest Man, Derby
- 2019: 209 Women Commission, Open Eye Gallery, Liverpool
- 2019: Solo Exhibition Brooklyn Media Centre, New York Other Ways of Knowing
- 2018: 209 Women Commission, Westminster, London
- 2018: Singapore Photo Festival, Other Ways of Knowing
- 2018: Emerging Talents Festival, Italy, Other Ways of Knowing
- 2018: Solo Exhibition Copenhagen Photo Festival, Other Ways of Knowing
- 2018: Lumiere Center, Moscow, The Path of an Honest Man
- 2018: 1 Godley VC House, Griffin Gallery, London, The Meteorite Hunter
- 2018: A Voice of a Generation, The Quin Hotel, New York, Other Ways of Knowing
- 2017: Unfold Space Festival, London, Other Ways of Knowing
- 2017: Unseen Festival, The Path of an Honest Man, Amsterdam
- 2017: Solo Exhibition Fabrica Inbetween Gallery, Other Ways of Knowing
- 2017: Fotofestiwal Lodz, Poland
- 2016: Red Herrings, Other Ways of Knowing, Gallery 40, Brighton Photo Fringe, UK
- 2016: 6th Annual Zine & Self-Published Photo Book Fair, Baxter Street, New York, NY
- 2016: Circulations Festival, The Meteorite Hunter, Paris
- 2016: PHOTOUKINDIA, Origins, New Delhi, India.
- 2015: Seeing is Believing, Encontros da Imagem, Group Show, Portugal
- 2015: Beyond the Camera, Pingyao International Photography Festival, China
- 2015: Mt. Figure, Unseen Photo Fair & Festival, Amsterdam
- 2015: Fresh Faced +Wild Eyed, The Photographer’s Gallery, London
- 2015: The Meteorite Hunter, Book display, Fotografia Europea Festival, Reggio Emilia, Italy
- 2015: The Meteorite Hunter, Book display, Kijk:papers, Kessel, Germany
- 2015: The Meteorite Hunter, Book display, Photo Book Melbourne Festival, Australia
- 2015: The Meteorite Hunter, IMA Gallery, Toyko, Japan
- 2014: The Meteorite Hunter, Book display, Offprint, Paris
- 2014: The Meteorite Hunter, Book display, Paris Photo, Paris